Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus hosted a ceremony today to celebrate the recent announcement that the next Arleigh Burke class guided-missile destroyer will be named USS Paul Ignatius.
"The Ignatius will be in our fleet for three to four decades. It will sail virtually every ocean of the world," said Mabus. "It will be a reminder of the experience, and the wisdom of Paul Ignatius."
The ceremony was held in the Pentagon and attended by former Navy Secretary Paul Ignatius, his family and current and former civilian and uniformed naval officials and guests. In addition to Ignatius, five former Secretaries and acting Secretaries of the Navy were in attendance to commemorate the occasion.
"I was really quite overwhelmed when Secretary Mabus told me that this ship was going to be named in my honor," said Ignatius. "The Navy meant a lot to me in my life."
The future USS Paul Ignatius (DDG 117) will be the first naval ship to bear this name.
With the Senate starting to cast votes on a bill to overhaul the nation’s immigration laws, President Obama on Tuesday made a high-profile pitch for the legislation, saying, “There’s no reason Congress can’t get this done by the end of summer.”
“If you’re serious about actually fixing the system, then this is the vehicle to do it,” Mr. Obama said in a speech at the White House. “If you’re not serious about it, if you think that a broken system is the best America can do, then I guess it makes sense to try to block it.”
It was a carefully choreographed appearance by the president, who has tended to keep a low profile on the immigration issue to avoid stirring partisan opposition on Capitol Hill to a bill that many Republicans regard as crucial to the long-term fortunes of their party. But it also underscored, as Mr. Obama said, that the debate had reached a critical moment.
A shooting in a Santa Monica alley left one man dead and another wounded, authorities said. Officials responded to a call at 8:20 a.m. in the 1500 block of Michigan Avenue, near 15th Street, Santa Monica police said.
The armed suspect allegedly approached the victims, who were in their late 20s or early 30s, in an alley and opened fire, police said. “The suspect had walked up, fired multiple rounds and ran back to a vehicle,” Sgt. Richard Lewis said.
The gunman was last seen fleeing the scene in a royal blue Infiniti driven by another suspect.
The motive for the shooting was unknown.
(Video Courtesy of Fox 11 News)
A Palmdale mother and her boyfriend's arraignment was postponed on Tuesday in the alleged torture and beating death of the woman's 8-year-old son. Pearl Fernandez, 29, and her boyfriend, Isauro Aguirre, 32, are charged with one count each of murder and a special circumstance of torture.
Fernandez’s son Gabriel was found unconscious last month with a skull fracture, several broken ribs, cigarette burns on his skin and abrasions around his ankles that indicated he may have been tied up. He died after spending days in the hospital.
During police interviews, Aguirre admitted causing the injuries to the child, and Fernandez admitted she was present and did not intervene during the assault, authorities say. Both are are being held in lieu of $1 million bail.
Fernandez came to the attention of county social workers a year ago when her oldest son suffered a head injury during a car accident. He wasn't wearing a seat belt, prompting an allegation of severe neglect, according to county records.
A year later, a relative reported that Fernandez had beaten the same son and did not want him, but social workers decided the complaint was unfounded.
Fernandez later told social workers she had a history of gang involvement, drug use and mental health problems. In 2007, social workers received a complaint that Fernandez was neglecting to feed one of her daughters and threatened to break her jaw when she cried.
In October, relatives said Fernandez suddenly reclaimed Gabriel and two siblings from her parents. Emily Carranza, Gabriel's cousin, alleged "it was for the welfare money."
Unemployment in May ticked up to 7.6 percent as employers added 175,000 jobs, a tepid report that may cheer investors hoping for interest rates to stay low, boosting stocks.
Economists including JJ Kinahan, chief derivatives strategist of TD Ameritrade, had expected the addition of 167,000 jobs with the unemployment rate unchanged at 7.5 percent.
The industries with the strongest employment growth in the last month were temporary help agencies, which added 26,000 jobs; and food services, which added 38,000 jobs in May and 337,000 over the past year.
We spoke to Edwin Duterte about his Pink Slip Mixers, designed to help unemployed individuals. He is also making a documentary about mid-level professionals working to survive the recession.
He's even going to be filming at some of the Pink Slip Mixers taking place in the L.A. area.
The trial of George Zimmerman, accused of murdering unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin, began Monday in Sanford, Fla., with the difficult process of selecting a jury. As expected, the judge immediately rejected the latest request by the defense to delay the proceedings.
As a pool of hundreds of potential jurors were meeting out of the media’s glare, filling out questionnaires that will be used as part of the selection process, the defense again unsuccessfully sought a delay.
Circuit Judge Debra S. Nelson, who will preside over the widely publicized trial that has become a focal point for questions about race and the use of guns, rejected the request by lead defense attorney Mark O'Mara, who argued that more time was needed to prepare.
The mother of the gunman who killed five people in a Santa Monica rampage Friday said several years ago that she was the victim of domestic abuse, according to his former teacher.
Several law enforcement sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing, said the gunman, 24-year-old John Zawahri, had struggled with his parents' bitter divorce several years ago, and he also had a history of mental issues.
Sources say the rampage began in the Zawahri home when the gunman killed his father, Samir Zawahri, 55, and brother, Chris, 25. Police arrived to find the home on fire and the two bodies inside.
Wendy Parise is a former Santa Monica preschool teacher who taught John Zawahri when he was a young boy, and says, "He was my student. A very sweet, very quiet, very withdrawn child."
Parise said John Zawahri's mother, Randa Abdou, approached her to say her husband had held a knife to her throat.
"There was tremendous violence in the home," Parise said. "I was very concerned for this little boy and his mother. I can only imagine what this very quiet, withdrawn little boy was observing. ... My heart just aches thinking about his life, all these years."
Threatening messages aimed at President Barack Obama and the Los Angeles Police Department were found spray-painted on the walls of a high school in Reseda Monday.
Graffiti reading “Kill Obama” and “Kill LAPD” was found along with several swastikas on the walls of Diane S. Leichman High School at 19034 Gault St.
The vandalism took place between Sunday night and Monday morning, according to police.
As many as seven people, including the suspected gunman, died Friday following a rampage in the Santa Monica area.
“At this hour, it appears at least a half dozen are dead … information is still coming in as this is unfolding. We’re still fairly early in this,” said Santa Monica Police Department Chief Jackqueline Seabrooks.
Of the injured, Dr. Marshall Morgan of Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center said three victims were transported there where one died. A second victim was said to be in surgery as of 3:30 p.m. and a third victim was listed in critical condition.
Three other victims were taken to UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica where all were said to be listed in “good condition.”